Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:31:11 EST
Hello again, list-members.  I want to apologize (as the one who initiated
the topic) to anyone who finds these exchanges less than endifying or
entertaining.  That said, I want to clarify my purposes in offering a
course on the Jefferson-Hemings scandal and the resulting two centuries
of controversy.  As a cultural historian I am interested in the
phenomenon of how the controversy has unfolded: from political scandal,
to family scandal, to inspiration for novels, to grist for biographers
and psycho-biographers, to interesting test of modern genetic
technologies, etc., etc.  It is not my intent -- or interest for that
matter -- to present my students a "directed result" as Mr. Dixon calls
it.   Far from it; I  expect my students to read a variety of
perspectives.  My own interests in history touching on the subject are
more general: the phenomenon of interracial sex and what is indicates
about the nature of our antebellum slave society.  The Jefferson-Hemings
rumors (or whatever one wants to call it) are illustrative of how people
thought (and think) about those issues.

David Kiracofe

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:08:47 -0500 Richard Dixon wrote:

> That is an interesting comment. Is there a distinction between "self
> appointed" and "independent?" The reputations of the scholars on the
> Scholar Commission are well established. I don't think you want a
> debate on
> the messenger. The issue for a course study should be the breath of the
> materials for study. Relying  only on Gordon-Reed, Ellis, Onuf, etc., and
> the suggested National Genealogical Society article, presents the unread
> (i.e., students) with a directed result.
>
> Richard E. Dixon
> Clifton, VA 20124-2115
> 703-830-8177
> fax 703-691-0978