From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:31:56 -0500
The Constitution does begin with the phrase, "We the People...",  not
"We the States." And there is that Supremacy clause in Article VI that
makes federal law supersede state law. At the time of ratification, the
founders undoubtedly considered the states sovereign entities, but
clearly they  saw them exercising  their sovereignty in a sphere
subordinate to the federal government.

Jim Hershman