From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:58:13 -0400
  Mr. Mills is, of course, correct to observe that there is some opposition to the
size and reach of the modern state.  He and others might be interested to know that
a group of historically learned political scientists, Steven
Skorownek and Theodore Bensel in particular, have taken on this
issue in TB, Yankee Leviathan, and SS Building the New American
State (title?).  What I found fascinating when reading these books
is that Bensel notes that Democrats generally and southern
Democrats in particular, resisted the building of a strong state
during Reconstruction.  They did this for many reasons but
prominent among them was the hated Radical Republican policies
favoring racial equality in political rights:  voting, jury service, office
holding, and the practice of law.  Later, when disfranchisement was
a practical reality, southern Democrats joined Republicans in
crafting a strong, centralized state under Teddy Roosevelt, Wm.
Howard Taft, and Virginia-born Democrat, Thomas Woodrow
Wilson. (See Skorownek)  Thus, the big state, with income tax,
federal reserve banking system, for efficient (Clayton Anti-Trust
Act), the FBI, etc., was created when white southerner dominated
every branch of the federal government:  President, Chief Justice of
the Supreme Court, Speaker of the House of Reps. and Majority
Leader of the Senate.
  Do tell, only 90 or so years later, the descendants of these
political leaders constituents are surprised at what Rooseveltian,
but more especially, Wilsonian Progressive state-building has
created.  Many want to blame it all on FDR, but the latter President
created many temporary bureaucratic structures to meet a national
crisis.  TR and TWW built new administrative capacity that was
expected to endure and expand...and they built better than they
knew.

Harold