Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 10:55:01 EST
        2 + 2 = 4 everywhere in the world.

       However, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are
unique to this country and are defining documents for all Americans.
Therefore, our children need to know how they came about and what they
provide, assuming that it is the intent of our society to remain the free and
independent people we call Americans pursuant to the legacy of those
documents.

       We teach our children history so they can benefit from the lessons of
the unique American past in dealing with the future.  Within that context,
they should be exposed to both the good and the bad of the American
experience.  For example, the Civil War is about as bad as our history gets,
and is clearly something we would hope our children would avoid in the
future.  It needs to be taught if for no other reason than the lesson it
gives on the results of an extreme lack of civility among Americans of
different interests, and the reckless pursuant of a political agenda
disfavored by a significant portion of our countrymen.

       I have a very good friend and golfing buddy who is one of the most
prominent first amendment lawyers in the U.S.  He grew up in New York and
attended the public schools there.  He once noted in response to my interest
in the Civil War that he couldn't recall ever being taught anything about it
during his tenure in the NCY public schools, and was amazed at the widespread
interest in the subject when he moved on to college, since he had the
impression it was essentially a non-issue in American history taught only by
Southerners to Southerners.

       Those who believe that Americans live in a "global village" were
apparently surprised by the 9-11 terrorist act by our fellow villagers.
However, the more Americans attempt to ignore such two-bit, terrorist thugs,
the more costly it becomes for the ultimate resolution of the problem to
protect our survival.  Cf.  Hitler's Germany.  We teach history because the
lessons learned are essential to our survival as a people.

so endeth the sermon on a Sunday morning.

JDS