From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:43:25 -0600
Of course secession is revolt.  The putative confederate government
seize property owned by the United States (post offices, forts, etc.);
stole postage stamps from the U.S. (they often circulated as money at
the time); they resisted the lawful authority of the United States
government, and prevented the U.S. govt. from carrying out its
constitutionally mandated obligations and tasks (such as delivering the
mail, collecting duties on imported goods; regulating ports, staffing
coast on the coast, etc.)

I am not sure what you mean by "coaltion of state" -- the U.S. created a
  "perpetual union" and there was no "escape clause" not option to drop
out.  It was a revolution; and firing on Fort Sumter was simply a
militaray manifestation of this.  I find it interesting that you cite
Jackson for your theory, since Jackson threatened to send troops to
South Carolina when that state merely decided to nullify a single
federal law.  Imagine what Jackson would have done to S.C. if the state
had seized United States property or actually fired on United States
troops.  Given his notorious quick temper, I suspect the result would
have been a full scale invasion of the state.

If you accept Jefferson's theories set out in the Dec. of Ind., then
secession would be "legitimate" if the South had been denied its voice
in Congress, or taxed without representation.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor