From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:54:49 -0500
On all of this, see Ramundo Luraghi (spelling?) The Rise and Fall
of the Old South.  In the midst of discussing something else, he
notes that all industrializing states rely on capital gleaned by one
means or another from the agricultural sector of the nation.  Of
course, the state now partially captured by the Party of
Industrialization, expected the agricultural regions to finance the
bureaucracy.
  Looking at trade figures for 1880, the US would have had a $50
million negative balance of trade, save for the $50 million in tobacco
and $200 million in cotton exported that year;  leading to a $200
million trade surplus.