From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:28:08 -0600
You still don't get it.

 Lincoln had the power under the Constitution to act in the emergency; thus he
had the power to suspect HC where it was necessary to suspend it, and under the
circumstances the Constitution allows -- rebellion or actual invasion and
necessary for the public safety.  The constitution does not specify Congress must
do it, it only says that HC cannot be suspended except under certain
circumstances.

Imagine an invasion of the DC.  The Enemy seizes both houses of Congress and
arrests all members. The President escapes and organizes a defense of the US.  He
is in Baltimore and declares martial law in response to the "actual invasion" and
to the fact that the enemy is organizing supporters in Baltimore. Under your
theory, the President cannot suspend HC.

You can't really believe that.  Nor could you believe that people like Washington
and Madison and Hamilton, in drafting the Constitution, would have expected such
a result.

Now imagine that the Pres. gathers his forces, retakes DC and frees Congress,
which promptly passes a new HC law authorizing suspensions. Surely you cannot
believe that the president acted unconstitutionally in the first place; rather,
what we have is Congress acting within its sphere and passinga law to regularize
and AFFIRM what the President had done.

As to your question about "en banc" hearings before the SC.  I doubt such was
possible under Supreme Court rules and the judiciary acts of 1789 and 1802 which
were in force at the time; but more importantly, Lincoln had suspended HC and
thus Taney's writ had no authority, so why appeal it; Taney's writ was simply,
and properly, ignored.

Merryman, a traitor and a sabateur, was simply lucky that the Lincoln
administration only locked him up in Fort McHenry, instead of hanging him.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law