From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:28:58 -0500
No thank you, I have broader interests than to read any more about Lee. He
seems to be have been a good man other than his murder record as a soldier.
Would the war have been less bloody if he'd fought for the US as he should
have? Right now, I'm more interested in the people who've worked hard to
correct the wrongs of the Confederacy and the post war southern
legislatures. I found the stories of Joseph Jenkins Roberts and Irene
Morgan, both Virginians who followed their convictions, of interest. You
can learn more about Roberts at http://users.visi.net/~cwt/jjr-9th.html and
the story of Irene Morgan is at
http://www.timesdispatch.com/blackhistory/MGB87ZDEGXC.html and
http://writetools.com/women/stories/morgan_irene.html ... Ms Morgan
received the Presidential Citizen Award, long overdue, from Clinton.

                                                 Anne

At 09:03 AM 3/6/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Anne;
>
>You apparently need to read more biographies of REL.  There has yet to be the
>historian who has been able to come up with any shocking revelations about
>him. The Making of Robert E Lee by Fellman was an attempt to dig up the dirt
>on REL, but all he was able to come up with was the fact that Lee liked to
>flirt with younger women at social events.  No, a few great men meet the test
>of time.  Lincoln wasn't one of them, however.
>
>JDS
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org