From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:13:19 -0500
Jon,

Your comments brought to mind some readings in a book by Francis Jennings
"The Invasion of America   Indians, Colonialism, and the Cant of Conquest".
Jennings points out the difficulties of using humanities and science
(anthropology) to arrive at accurate estimates of the effect of "discovery"
on the Native Populations of America or even of determining the population
strength of pre-Columbian Native Americans. History stands in the way,
because we want to believe that the colonies were established on "virgin
land ... inhabited by non-people ....". Anthropology gets hung up on the
lowest level of civilization and applies it to the whole continent, again
underestimating population by ignoring the agricultural societies that
supported large populations (and newcomers who arrived). (Ch 2: Pg 15-17

Jennings asks for more scientific logic, analysis, and criticism to help
overcome the non-factual with romantic imagery we have from the humanities.
But he isn't too happy with the logic used in the "hard science" of
Anthropology.

It's a good book that one day I will read all the way through. <grin>

                                                 Anne