From:
"Richardson, Darlene (NCA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:29:15 -0400
We found one such grave marker in an African American cemetery in Roanoke
County, Virginia.  The grave marker was mid-20th century.  The photo was
originally placed behind glass that was embedded into the handmade concrete
marker.  The glass had since been broken and the photographic paper and its
image were ruined.

D. Darlene Richardson, Historian
National Cemetery Administration
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs