From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:01:29 -0500
Having recommended Herman Belz, I would like now to recommend in addition
the work of conservative historian and political scientist Harry Jaffa, who
provides the best sustained explication I know both for the morality and
the constitutionality of Lincoln's actions as President.  Jaffa, for those
of you who are unfamiliar with him, was also the author of Barry
Goldwater's 1964 acceptance speech--one of the iconic statements of
contemporary conservatism.

I am curious how Lincoln's critics here respond to the scholarship of this
highly regarded conservative Straussian scholar?  Constantine Gutzman, I
would imagine, will have an interesting critique?

--
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor