From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2019 22:58:41 +0000
I taught with Bud for three years at Virginia Tech.  Whoever invented the term "Gentleman and Scholar" could have had Bud in mind.
One quick story.  One day a student came to my office with a Civil War cannon ball, dug out of the family garden.  I looked at it and admired it and gave it back to the student, who gave it right back to me, saying it was a gift.  The family lived next door to a famous battlefield and the student said every time they gardened they dug up bullets, buttons, and cannon balls.  The final word was: "there are only so many cannon balls any family needs."
I immediately showed it to Bud, who ferociously grabbed it (not his normal style) and examined it very very carefully and then gave it back to me.  I asked him what that was all about and he said his friend had a cannon ball but he did not know it was full of gun powder.  He kept in by his fireplace, and it exploded and blew up his house. He assured me that mine was a solid ball and so it was safe.  (But I have never put it near the fireplace).   It is a wonderful memory of a wonderful colleague.
********
PaulFinkelman, Ph.D.
President

GRATZCOLLEGE