From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:50:32 -0400
Richard E. Dixon takes me to task for writing "Francis Pierpont's
government had some support in 1865," on the basis of which I conclude that
"there was a considerable range of commitment to the union vis-a-vis
commitment to the state by the mid-19th century."

My point is two fold.  First, Pierpont was duly elected by the Wheeling
convention in 1861--so he had some considerable support in 1861.  When West
Virignia seceded, she took with her roughly 1/3 of Virginia's population.

By 1865 fighting across much of Northern Virginia and the Valley alienated
considerable numbers of folk who, at the beginning of the war, had been
loyal to the Union.  So--my second point--the fact that Pierpont had some
residual support in 1865, in those Virginia counties which remained with
the Confederacy, is suggestive.  It seems to me to support my contention
that the range of loyalty was broad and divergent in Virginia.  Even after
local circumstances elicited considerable resentment of Federal armies and
other representatives of the Federal government, Pierpont had his
supporters.

The story of secession in Virginia is a fascinating one, and to my mind
anyway ill represented in the literature.  I have not found anything that
works well in the class room.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an article
or chapter length treatment?

All my best,
Kevin R. Hardwick