From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:20:20 -0400
Randy--

I should add to what has been said that one of the Confederacy's premier officers, Patrick Cleburne, "Stonewall of the West," was a native of Ireland. I think his divisional insignia carried something to indicate that. Anyway, there were few Irish units in the CSA bcause the flow of immigration was so much less to the slave than the free states in the 1840s, 1850s. Some Irish were definitely in VA in the 1850s, buiding railroads, canals, and the dry dock at the Gosport Navy yard, but their numbers were nowhere close to the tens of thousands who settled in the
Northeastern cities.

Jim Hershman