From:
"Johnson, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:28:54 -0400
Deane--

The issue here is, I think, not whether or not your grandparents had valid
perspectives (which they certainly did) or that their views were or weren't
shared by others (they certainly were).  Instead, the historians here are
trying to point out that generalizations can't be made from the personal
accounts of only a handful of people, no matter who those people are or how
passionately they held their views.  In one regard, you're right--your
grandparents' views *are* perfectly valid primary sources.  But they are
only four such sources, and they need to be compared to many other views
before generalizations can be made.  That, among other things, is what
historians do when approaching a particular question asked of the historical
record.

On the flip side of that coin, generalizations are only that: broad trends
drawn from the analysis of a myriad of sources.  Any one source is going to
differ to varying degree from the particular generalization (how's that for
oxymoronic) being made.  There are instances where individual sources seem
to match very well, at least on the surface, the generalization which had
been drawn from the sources as a whole.  These are the individuals we often
see quoted to support a particular generalization or perspective.  We've
seen examples in the recent discussions about Virginian vs. American
patriotism.  And the particular instance of Patrick Henry's quote shows how
careful we must be about using these kinds of quotations to support a
generalization; the person being quoted might or might not be saying what we
think he or she is saying.

So we can't say "My great-grandparents didn't fight to support slavery;
therefore no southerner fought to support slavery."  But nor can we say "My
great-grandfather was a slave-owner and fought to defend that right;
therefore all southerners fought to support slavery."  You see how
ridiculous that is.  But if we look at the records of hundreds or thousands
of great-grandparents, we can start seeing trends--we can make generalities
about causes and effects, moods and beliefs.  Yet these conclusions are
always drawn with a grain of salt because we know how many exceptions there
are to the generalization.

And we know that in the end, five million people supporting a cause would
have five million reasons to do so; all we can do is try to relate those
reasons to one another.  That struggle--balancing the individual perspective
against the collective perspective--is what gives rise to so much of what is
interesting about history, in my opinion.  And it's what gives space for
intellectually stimulating conflicts, because different people have
different opinions about the evidence in front of them.  And *that's*
because each person involved--historian and historical subject alike--is a
human being and is therefore complicated and multilayered.

--Eric