From:
Constantine Gutzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:39:55 -0500
Contrary to M Westbrook's assertion below, the Virginia instrument of
ratification was obscure on this point.  What it said was that if the
federal government overstepped the bounds of its authority, the people could
reclaim the powers it had been delegated.  This statement is susceptible of
interpretation as a statement consistent with John Marshall's insistence in
_McCulloch v. Maryland_ (1819) that the Constitution had been ratified by
one, American people, and that the states had simply been the places in
which that one people had acted because there was no other place in which
the American people could act.  Marshall, by the way, was a member of the
5-man committee that drafted Virginia's instrument of ratification.
Constantine Gutzman

Prof. K.R. Constantine Gutzman
Department of History
Western Connecticut State University