From:
"Charles L. Dibble (BLS 1338.733)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 04:44:07 -0400
Paul ... and Jarl ... and List -
My posting to List: "The following from the diary of President Rutherford B.
Hayes is interesting in light of the current discussion on this List."

Your interpretation:  "This is the first time in my career I have seen
Rutherford B. Hayes used as a source for serious constitutional theory or
political science."

My further comment:  I have yet to see Rutherford B. Hayes used as a source
for serious constitutional theory or political science on this List; I have
seen his comments passed along as "interesting in light of the current
discussion."  Equally interesting would be a compendium - fairly easily
assembled - of other contemporary reflections on the same subject in the
post-1865 decades.

Charles L. Dibble