Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2024 12:51:17 +0000
Sender:
From:
Dale Dulaney <[log in to unmask]>
I have a question that I hope others on this list may be able to answer.

I have just finished closely reading a long and complicated Halifax County chancery court cause related to recovery of debt by the administrator of an estate from another estate; the deceased individuals were siblings. One of the many questions that arose in my mind from this case is about the commissioners in chancery and estate administrators. Why did these individual do this work, especially when some of it seemed to be a bit arduous and could potentially create hard feelings with neighbors? Many of these commissioners and administrators, I discovered as I continued to read about the case, were lawyers; others were not and seemed to be players in local business and farming. Why did these individuals take on this work? Was it lucrative? Were the individuals involved the kind of people who liked to be in mix, as it were, especially those that were not lawyers? The fees charged during the course of the cause by the various commissioners and administrators led me to believe that they were well-compensated. Perhaps not.

Any reading anyone may be able to recommend on the workings of the chancery court would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dale Dulaney
Brown Library
540-857-7438