From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:18:26 -0500
Many of you expressed an interest in part #1 of my offer some weeks ago.  That was to request my .MPG movie of the departure of the Winchester Unit on March 4, 2004 for federal service.

Part #2 is now ready, for those who took advantage of part #1, or now want to combine the offers.  Everything is free.  It took me a while to finish the third march, Sousa's RIFLE REGIMENT, which I propose as the theme song of the 116th Infantry, but I finally did it.  Unlike Sousa's most famous marches (Semper Fidelis, Stars and Stripes), this has no great counterpoint (remember Professor Harold Hill -- '76 trombones played the counterpoint, and 110 cornets played the air.')  But it has a flute obble-gobble on the last strain to die for..... more melodic that the piccolo part on Stars and Stripes, and I had to pass my editing by some band directors and flute teachers to make sure it was playable by high-school bands.

The three marches which are scored for full concert band are:
    - THE RIFLE REGIMENT - Sousa, 1886 - 2004 Edition by R Cabell
    - STONEWALL BRIGADE MARCH - Will Ruebush 1916 - At one time director of the Stonewall Brigade Band, and he took the 116th infantry band to France in WW I
    - MARCH, BAND OF THE SHENANDOAH  - Cabell 1994 - Modesty prohibits me from further discussion of this fine march weaving themes from STONEWALL JACKON'S WAY(1862), MARCH OF THE RIFLEMEN (1812), and SHENANDOAH (Date and origin unknown)

The idea is to have Virginia school and community bands play these to keep the thoughts of the 116th folks in the forefront, then be prepared to welcome them back with the stirring strains.  I have sent copies to the 29th Division Band in Roanoke, the only band on the TO&E of the Virginia National Guard, and I intend to hand deliver copies to the post band at Ft. Bragg when we pass thorugh there on the way to the funeral commemoration for the third crew of the CSS Hunley.

If you are interested in offer #1 or offer #2 or offers #1 and #2, just send me your snail mail address and tell me what you want.  Remember it is all free, and I'm doing it for the greater glory of our friends and neighbors on active duty with the Virginia National Guard.

Randy Cabell
Boyce, Virginia